Thursday, March 8, 2007

Self Portrait 3

What I enjoy most about Impressionism is the bright vivid colors that catch my eye. When I look at the paintings I am intrigued with the backgrounds of shades of blue and other soft and bright colors. For my self portrait I was influenced by another Impressionistic painter, Claude Monet. Oeuvres de Claude Monet, was a picture painted of him by him. The picture is just him with a hat on but what make it so appealing are the strokes and colors of the background. It brings out him and helps the viewer focus on the center of the picture. Therefore, in my picture I decided to add the vibrant colors in the background to brighten up the picture and focus more on me. My process was painting the background several colors to bring about the center of the picture itself. When you brighten the background the center object is revealed more and becomes more obvious. I decided not to add and objects to the picture because when I think of impressionism I see a bright background with real objects or people depicted in it.

No comments: